Work by North Korea to dismantle a key testing facility for its missile engines and rocket launches could pave the way toward more intensive talks on a peace regime between Pyongyang and Washington, experts said after a new analysis of satellite imagery showed disassembly was underway.
Dr Narang says the Sohae test site could be destroyed, and North Korea could continue to improve their missile force and produce nuclear weapons.
The report comes amid concern about the North's true intentions as the June 12 summit in Singapore yielded no specific commitments or timelines.
Those reports indicate that North Korea's only official nuclear enrichment site at Yongbyon is being upgraded, and that the country was stepping up enrichment at other secret sites.
"Given the state of activity, work is likely to have begun sometime within the past two weeks", 38 North said.
It's the first sign that North Korea may be razing some of its facilities associated with its nuclear and missile programs.
According to analyst Joseph S. Bermudez, Jr., satellite images dated July 20 reveal that North Korean authorities have brought construction materials into the site and begun dismantling necessary structures to launch rockets and missiles. He said that with eventual denuclearization, there would be "big benefits and exciting future for North Korea at end of process!"
"A Rocket has not been launched by North Korea in 9 months", Trump wrote in a morning tweet.
It's been seen as the first step towards North Korea's commitment to denuclearisation since the summit with US President Donald Trump last month.
The diplomatic offensive has tamped down tensions after fears of nuclear war rose past year as the communist state demonstrated strong advances with a series of missile launches and its sixth and most powerful nuclear test.
China and Russian Federation have argued that North Korea should be rewarded with the prospect of eased sanctions for opening up dialogue with the U.S. and halting missile tests. "Japan is happy, all of Asia is happy", he said.
CNN reported on Monday that continued negotiations between the two sides hinge on Washington's willingness to make a "bold move" and agree to a peace treaty with Pyongyang, according to an official with close knowledge of North Korea's position on the matter. But the Fake News is saying, without ever asking me (always anonymous sources), that I am angry because it is not going fast enough.
Separately on Tuesday, South Korea's Defence Ministry said it was planning "a test reduction of some guard post troops and equipment" along the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) that divides North and South Korea.
Melissa Hanham, a senior research associate at the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies in California, said Monday that the dismantling is "a good move" but called it "the bare minimum that can be done at the site".
Diplomats say the North Koreans have canceled follow-up meetings, demanded more money and failed to maintain basic communications, even as the once-isolated regime's engagements with China and South Korea flourish. The testing facilities at the site are thought to play a role in the development of liquid-fuel engines that can also be used in North Korea's ballistic missile programme.